Your local business listing on Google Maps is the first thing that people see when they search for your company. You can help to make sure that it’s accurate and complete, which will help you get found by customers. Follow these tips to optimize your local business listing on Google Maps and increase your online visibility:
1. List your business on Google Maps
To start adding your business to Google Maps, simply go to google.com/business and click “add.” You can also access this form by searching for your business on Google Maps and clicking “more actions” at the bottom of the search result page.
Once you’ve clicked “add,” you’ll be presented with a form that asks for basic contact information, like address, phone number and website URL—as well as one or more categories (e.g., restaurant) that best describe your company’s offerings. Fill out each field appropriately then click “save” at the bottom of the page to add your listing!
You should now see an orange pin icon on your map indicating where people can find you when they search for local businesses in [city].
2. Sign in to Google My Business
- Sign in to Google My Business. To do this, you must be signed into your Google account. If you do not have a Google account, go to https://accounts.google.com/SignUp to create one first.
- Once signed in, go to https://www.google.com/business/. You should see a window that asks if you want to manage a local business or start one at the bottom of the page (Figure 2). Click “Start” if you already own a business or need help setting up an account for your business; otherwise, click “Manage” if this is for a client’s site that belongs to someone else or an ecommerce site where Google Analytics won’t work properly without taking additional steps such as adding custom tracking codes on all pages so they can send data back when users visit them from their web browser — which we’ll cover later!
3. Complete Your Information
In order to get your business on the map, you first need to complete the information that Google asks for. This includes:
- Business Name
- Phone Number (NAP)
- Hours of Operation (NAP)
- Website/URL (NAP)
If you’re not sure which category or features to include in your listing, we recommend asking yourself two questions: “What are our most important services?” and “Who is my target audience?” The answers will help determine what categories and features are best suited for each listing.
4. Verify Your Location
- Verify Your Location
Google Maps ranks businesses based on their proximity to customers, as well as other factors like the relevancy of their search terms and if they’re a verified business. If you haven’t yet verified your business’ location on Google Maps or Google Search, please do so now by following the steps below:
- Go to https://www.google.com/business/ and sign in with your usual account credentials (you’ll need a Gmail account). If you don’t already have one, sign up for one here!
- Click “Get verified” under “My Business profile” at the top right corner of the page. You’ll be redirected to a page where you can enter more information about your company—this includes an address and phone number (which should match what’s listed on other websites), along with some other fields that may be relevant depending on what services you offer as well as what kind of business entity type (eBay seller vs nonprofit). When finished filling out this form, click “Verify” at the bottom left corner—this will redirect back over to My Business where we started from earlier; however now there will be an orange badge next to its name indicating that it’s been successfully verified!
5. Make sure you are listed in the right category
Make sure you are listed in the right category. If you are a yoga studio and you want to be found by people searching for yoga classes, make sure that in the “Services” section of your Google My Business listing, the category is Yoga Studio. If you are a dental practice and want more patients who need teeth whitening treatments, make sure your category says Dental Practice and not Dentist.
6. Get customer reviews on your business listing
Getting customer reviews are an important part of the Google Maps ranking system. Reviews provide a way for Google to see how your business is being perceived. If you want to get more positive reviews, then follow these tips:
- Offer excellent service and deliver what you promise
- Respond to reviews in a timely manner
- Ask for feedback from customers after they leave a review (e.g., ask them what they think could be improved)
- Reach out to past customers who haven’t left any feedback yet and ask them why they haven’t done so yet or offer incentives such as discounts if they do leave one
7. Address the issues of your past clients, who have given you a negative review.
- Respond to negative reviews.
- Respond quickly.
- Respond politely.
- Respond with a solution (if there is one).
- Offer a discount on your service or product.
- Apologize for the inconvenience.
- Thank them for their feedback and ask them to take part in a survey about their experiences with your business, so you can improve it in the future!
8. Schedule at least one post every week
- Posting regularly is important.
- Make sure you’re posting at the right times.
- Use keywords in your posts and use the right hashtags.
- Posting regularly will improve your ranking, which means more people will find you on Google Maps and visit your business!
9. Manage how your business info appears across Google, including Search and Maps, using Google My Business.
Google My Business allows you to manage all of your business information across Google, including Search and Maps.
To add a link to your website:
- Click on the Edit button next to “Web Address” in the “Basic Info” section.
- Enter your full website URL.
To add links to social media accounts:
- Click on the Edit button next to “Social Profiles” in the “Additional Details” section.
- Enter profile names for Facebook or Twitter, for example, in each box and click Save.
You can also link directly from a Google My Business listing by clicking on its name or photo at any time from search results pages or Maps listings—or from other websites where we show information about businesses’ locations (like our Knowledge Panel).
Use these tips to optimize your local business listing on Google Maps and increase your online visibility to bring more sales and customers
- Sign in to Google My Business.
- Make sure you are listed in the right category.
- Get customer reviews on your business listing.
- Address the issues of your past clients, who have given you a negative review.
We hope these steps will help you optimize your Google Maps listing and increase sales. If you want to learn more about how to get more customers, check out our blog post on how to promote your business on social media. Happy marketing!